Sunday, February 2, 2014

Save Yourself Pain
Rebecca 's Story
 
     
 I allowed myself to be talked into having an abortion because I was sixteen, was still in high school, was date raped, and had been prescribed medication for an infection. I was told that the meds might cause the child problems. These were several of the "right" reasons. I take full responsibility for my decision. But I was pushed and even manipulated by both my mother and my family doctor.

When I went to the clinic, I remember thinking they would help me put all the pieces together and help me change my mind. I also thought they would help me talk my mother out of this "choice". Nothing could be further from the truth. I was told from the beginning that this was not a life yet. “We just clean out some useless cells.” I was told over and over again that this was a simple procedure and it would be over in just a few minutes. Ha, thirty eight years later, and I still think about it. Although in the last thirteen years I now think about my abortion in terms of how I can help women to not "choose" to go through the Hell that this "simple procedure" starts in them and extends to their whole lives.

Looking backwards, I can see how every choice I made for years a result was stemming from that day. I spent the next two years after the abortion engaging in many self-destructive activities, promiscuity, and drug use.  I ran off with a man I later married, who was always abusive (but he was the only person that had tried to talk me out of the abortion).I miscarried several children. The abuse and the miscarriages led me to recovery. This in turn led me to talk to the two children I did have and raise. The one bright spot in my experience is that they are both PRO-LIFE. My daughter found herself in a spot a few years back and NEVER considered abortion. I now have 3 three wonderful grandchildren from her. Two of them she and I are raising and one was adopted by a lovely couple, who are gracious enough to let us be a part of his life.

There were several tools and friends involved in my healing process. Every one of them was from God! He opened my eyes and my heart, so the things I needed to face, didn’t faceable. (This may not be a real word but I am using it anyway) :) I was helping a friend work on a paper addressing the connection between DV and abortion when I was hit with the revelation that she was writing my story without even knowing it. So began my healing.

I did stop being silent and I talked to anyone who would hear me. I would talk even more if I knew how to access a platform. These children are wanted.  I know this because I walked through the adoption with my own daughter. I helped her read the profiles; I have seen the many, many families that want a child. So I have experience from both sides of the fence. Save your baby, save yourself a lot of pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment